Friday, November 13, 2015

A promise broken


I promised my rockstar shrink I would stay positive on Facebook this week, and even in this post I am trying to. But... terrorists are awful!!! It's so frustrating. They ruin the entire world for the rest of us. I get it. I understand why they are so angry. I know what they grew up being taught about Americans and Jews. I understand how powerful and tempting indoctrination into ANY cult or religion can be. But I cannot excuse this evil. Nor can I remain silent when it is so blatant.
On behalf of America, I continue to be deeply sorry that we as a nation slaughtered a million or so innocent Arab civilians in the Middle East during the Iraq/Afghanistan wars. Nothing I can say or do will change that or bring them back. But whether it is gun-toting 'licensed' Americans killing people right in our neighborhoods with handguns, or foreign cells of bombers and shooters in Beirut and Paris, or all the recent stabbings in Jerusalem, this world needs to take a long slow deep breath and figure out a better way to communicate. 
Terrorism and murder is in fact a form of communication, but of the worst possible kind. I don't have the answers, but I have reached out to close friends in Paris... I was VERY grateful to hear back from one of them while typing the name of his city. Theo is ok. But there are many more I am thinking of this evening. At 42, I am still an atheist and can't personally imagine any other belief system. I know that so many terrorists (of ALL religions) kill in the name of their god. But here's the thing, world: If ANY god actually exists, it's the same one for you, for me, for all of us. ‪#‎Peace‬ ‪#‎Love‬  ‪#‎Paris‬ ‪#‎France‬ ‪#‎Beirut‬‪#‎Lebanon‬ ‪#‎Jerusalem‬ ‪#‎Israel‬

No comments:

Post a Comment